Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thank you for the great responses!

Dear All,
All I can say is “WOW!” There seems to be a great amount of interest in the paper doll project. First off, there was no contest as such where one wins a prize or anything. There were not enough completed projects by the deadline date to submit to the magazine, let alone win a prize. I thought I’d write about it while I am working on other things so we could share the experience. I have it folded up and haven’t removed it from the box. It really is quite amateur. The pictures might show it to better advantage than the real doll deserves. However, it was fun and I learned a lot.
I have not learned how to answer you each privately so I want you to know I am trying. I write many of the articles and Michelle does both post and write, so please forgive me any bad manners. I do read the posts and I do not take them for granted. I need to learn how to respond. So many things to do with so little time, or maybe I poorly manage my time. I am a “housewife with a hobby!”
Dear Pattyjo, “Are you crazy?” Hahahahaha kit this paper doll! Truly, I would not know where to begin and I believe I would have to get permissions from so many places. I am VERY flattered. If you ever need to do a similar project, I will gladly write and chat with you along the way. Let me know if you decide to try, I will be your biggest cheerleader.
Dear Wanna, Your words are high praise indeed. I have also enjoyed all the things you have done. I especially have a love affair with your Mother Goose. She is delightful and your story telling keeps a smile on my face. The collaboration with Michelle is a good one. I have to admit she drags me through it all. I would not have thought to do a blog, or share these things if not for her. She’s the one behind me doing patterns, and painting fabrics, and well about a half dozen other things. She makes me think!
Dear Judy, I am so sorry, I think I might have confused you. I visited the internet with a search on “Brick Wall” and there borrowed a copy. Likewise, the gate, I think my search was something like “garden gate”, or English Garden. Therefore, I borrowed the pictures I found and imported or inserted the pictures into my Microsoft Publisher program and sized them from there. Once I sized the items correctly for my project, I printed them on 81/2” X 11” photographic paper (matte) and began working from there. Another thing you can do for your American Girl is take the picture of your doll with a white background, import them into your picture program, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, then you can erase the background of your doll, and drag her into the picture you want to use and size it right there. It is not quite that easy, but with a little practice, you can get much better at it. Try it.
Dear UK Jane, Thank you for your nice comments. The fur is synthetic fur trim one buys here in the USA at the fabric store. I did trim it up a bit, as I wanted the shape of the fur to “fall down” or have a rounded look. You could probably make any of the faux furs available work for you.
Thanks again for your posts and comments. Michelle and I really appreciate the support and sharing. I’ll be answering as often as I can. Now it is time to get back to work. Have a great day! Kathi

No comments: