Thursday, June 12, 2008

1830's Gown

I absolutely love the dresses of the "Romantic Era". They are so feminine. And I am a girlie girl. I have no idea why as I spent my first 16 years as a tomboy. But for some reason, probably boys, I turned girlie at about 16. These dresses are so inspirational as well. I had wanted to do this wedding gown for a great long time and when I decided to enter a doll into competition, well, there were no more reasons why I shouldn't. My painting earned me a red ribbon at a Seeley's Competition Show. (1 more point and I would have earned a blue ribbon.) The things you learn from competition are excellent.

My inspiration dress was found in French Fashion Plates of the Romantic Era, Edited by Judy M. Johnson. (Dover Books, http://store.doverpublications.com/)
The porcelain doll, "Marie Therese", a mold from Bass River Dollworks was completed by me. The pattern for the dress was developed by me for this figure and is not currently in published form. The garments are as historically correct as my research could get me. She is one of my favorites still today. Kathi

2 comments:

Donna said...

Michelle, this doll is beautiful! I have been dressing dolls of late in Scrapbooking paper and wonder if you would mind if I used some of the costumes you have on your blog as examples for my paper dressed dolls. I would of course provide a link from my blog to yours showing the inspiration of the dress.

hanna said...

beautiful!!